Tuesday, March 01, 2011

First they came - modified for Madison, WI

"First they came...
First they came for the car unions,
and I didn't speak out because I didn't work in Detroit.

Then they came for the air traffic controllers,
and I didn't speak out because I thought, yeah they are too entitled.

Then they came for the welfare mothers,
and I didn't speak out because I thought, yeah they are lazy, aren't they?

Then they came for the all the industrial workers,
and I didn't speak out because I thought, well, NAFTA could be good for me.

Then they came for the free press,
and I didn't speak out because I believed it was fair and balanced.

Then they came for everyone's savings and retirement money,
and I didn't speak out because I thought bubbles happen and deregulation will make me money.

Then they came for people with houses and predatory loans,
and I didn't speak out because they said greedy low-income people brought down the system.

Then they came for the right to an education,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a student or a teacher.

Then they came for those who organized to fight the rich,
and I didn't speak out because I believe them when they said it was about the budget.

Then they came for the mentally ill,
and I didn't speak out because I didn't have a problem and didn't know anyone who did.

Then they came for the sick,
and I didn't speak out because I was healthy and had a job with what I thought was good health insurance.

Then they came for the old and disabled,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't either and I believed them when they said social security couldn't be fixed and we must all


Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

No comments: